[R] R editor vs. Tinn-R

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Fri Jan 12 21:41:04 CET 2007

Thierry:

Instead of discussing this odd behaviour of TINN-R, I would prefer a
discussion on importing data through the clipboard. In my opinion it isn't a
good a idea to import data with the clipboard. I know that it's a quick and
dirty way to get your data fast into R.
But I see two major drawbacks. First of all you have no chance of checking
what data you imported. This is important when you need to check your
results a few days (weeks, months or even years) later. A second drawback is
that you won't feel the need to store your data in an orderly fashion. Which
often leads to a huge pile of junk, instead of a valuable dataset...

I do not understand this. I do this all the time, easily check the data in R
(which has all sorts of powerful capabilities to do this), and easily store
the data as part of the .Rdata file that also contains functions,
transformations, analyses, etc. that I have used on the data. I do not know
what is more orderly and useful than that! So would you care to
elaborate?....

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Statistics
South San Francisco, CA 94404