[R] Within-subject factors in lme

Kim Mouridsen kim.mouridsen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 18:25:28 CET 2007

Dear Thilo

Thanks for your suggestion. I guess the model you are fitting here has
only a single random effect term, namely subject. If the effect of A
depends on S, one needs to include an additional random effects term
for the S:A interaction.

With lme I can get output for the effect of A which is very similar to
the aov output using

lme( y ~ A + B, random=~ 1|S/A )

but here I have cheated by not including factor B in the 'random='
terms. But the output from

anova( lme( y ~ A + B, random=~ 1|S/A ) )

is

            numDF denDF  F-value p-value
(Intercept)     1    54 388.4006  <.0001
B                2    54 154.0193  <.0001
A                1    13   4.4581  0.0547

where the last line appears equivalent to the aov output:

Error: Subject:Treatment
          Df  Sum Sq Mean Sq F value  Pr(>F)
A         1 0.66074 0.66074  4.4581 0.05467 .
Residuals 13 1.92676 0.14821

But I still need to account for the random S:B interaction.

I can see a similar issue has been discussed earlier, see eg

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2006-August/111018.html

Here, lme( y ~ A*B, random=~1|S ) was also suggested (essentially),
but this gives quite different results from aov and the lme example
above. In this particular case I get

            numDF denDF  F-value p-value
(Intercept)     1    67 388.3976  <.0001
B               2    67 104.8436  <.0001
A               1    67  10.3707   0.002

I have seen instances of something like
random=list(S=pdBlocked(list(pdIdent(~A-1)..., but I can't get this to
work (and I have no idea what this does).

Best regards,
Kim.