[R] Making TIFF images with rtiff

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Fri Jan 12 17:48:12 CET 2007

At 8:07 AM +0000 1/12/07, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>Let us be clear that TIFF is not a format, it is a collection of formats
>and for example my camera's RAW images are TIFFs, as are Adobe's DNG
>files.  (See e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIFF.) So the journals
>concerned are misusing the term.  It is very easy to convert either JPEGs
>or PNGs to a TIFF subformat with ImageMagick, PhotoShop or other tools,
>and the bitmap() driver can write several versions of TIFF by converting
>from postscript (transparently to the user).
>
>I think the complaints in this thread are a bit rich given how much R
>aleady provides.  We thought about adding a few TIFF formats to PNG, JPEG
>and BMP but agreed it was not worth effort (especially given the vagueness
>with which 'TIFF' is used and stories about journals rejecting perfectly
>valid TIFF files). [I don't recall anyone ever writing to thank us for the
>PNG or JPEG or bitmap drivers, and lack of appreciation does play a part.]

[ remainder omitted ]

Then let me correct that omission right now. I appreciate these
graphics drivers very much, especially the PNG driver that I now use
routinely for placing R-generated graphics into so-called
"presentation" software such as Microsoft PowerPoint.

I remember very well how inconvenient I used to find it to transfer
graphics into such documents, i.e., those of both MS Word and MS
PowerPoint. Not so any longer.

Thank you,
-Don