[R] R graphics with Linux (libpng)

Benilton Carvalho bcarvalh at jhsph.edu
Thu Jan 11 19:06:10 CET 2007

Hi Rebecca,

png (and also jpeg, for example) require an X11 connection.

So, assuming you're working from the command line and that your X11
server is up, you would need to do something like:

linux$ export DISPLAY=:0.0

before loading R...

and if your linux machine is remote (and you're connecting through
SSH), you'd need

linux$ ssh -X remote.machine.somewhere