[R] A question about R environment

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Thu Jan 11 01:06:55 CET 2007

[Philippe Grosjean]

>Please, don't reinvent the wheel: putting functions in a dedicated
>environment is one of the things done by R packages (together with a
>good documentation of the function, and making them easily installable
>on any R implementation).

>[...] this is probably the time for you to read the "Writing
>R extensions" manual, and to start implementing your own R package!

Hi, Philippe, and gang!

I read this manual long ago and used it to create packages already.  You
really got the impression I did not read it? :-)

You know, there are small wheels, and huge wheels.  I do not see why
I would use complex devices for tiny problems, merely because those
complex devices exist.  R packages undoubtedly have their virtues, of
course.  But just like many statistical tests, they do not always apply.

Why go at length organising package directories populated with many
files, resorting to initialisation scripts, using package validators,
creating documentation files and processing them, go through the cycle
of creating a package and installing it, all that merely for a few small
quickies that fit very well in the ubiquitous .Rprofile file?  Why worry
about installation on any R implementation, for little things only meant
for myself, and too simple to warrant publication anyway?

                                        Keep happy, all.

--
François Pinard   http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca