[R] scripts with littler

Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 10 15:05:33 CET 2007

[By now way off the subject line.  Something like 'how to set the
libraries inside an R session'.]

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, John Lawrence Aspden wrote:

> John Lawrence Aspden wrote:
>
>> I've got a library (brainwaver), installed locally in ~/R/library, and
>> this information is recorded in the ~/.Renviron file.
>
>> In my script I load the library, but if I call it using
>> #!/usr/bin/r --vanilla, this stops working.
>
> (Various private e-mails exchanged. Again, thanks Dirk!)
>
> Just in case anyone else is trying to do this, it turns out that if you can
> persuade your end users to install the library to ~/R/library, then you can
> say:
>
> #!/usr/bin/r --vanilla
> library(brainwaver, lib.loc='~/R/library')
>
> although in my case, brainwaver depends on another library, which it now
> can't find, so actually I have to load them in order:
>
> #!/usr/bin/r --vanilla
>
> library(waveslim, lib.loc='~/R/library')
> library(brainwaver, lib.loc='~/R/library')
>
> Alternatively,
>
> #!/usr/bin/r --vanilla
>
> .libPaths('~/R/library')
> library(brainwaver)
>
> works, although be careful, I've noticed that it seems to behave a bit
> strangely on my debian setup.

'It' (R) is behaving as you asked it to.  Most likely you intended to ask
for

.libPaths(c("~/R/library", .libPaths()))

> e.g.
>
> #!/usr/bin/r --vanilla
> cat(.Library,'*****', .libPaths(),"\n")
> .libPaths('~/R/library')
> cat(.Library,'*****', .libPaths(),"\n")
>
> gives output
> /usr/lib/R/library
> ***** /usr/local/lib/R/site-library /usr/lib/R/site-library /usr/lib/R/library
> /usr/lib/R/library ***** ~/R/library /usr/lib/R/library
>
> that is, it seems to have removed /usr/local/lib/R/site-library
> and /usr/lib/R/site-library as well as added ~/R/library

Exactly as documented.  The argument is named 'new' and not 'add', BTW.
Please 'be careful' in what you say about the work of others.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk