[R] A question about R environment

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 9 10:33:13 CET 2007

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007, Tong Wang wrote:

> Hi,
>   Thanks a lot for your response,   but it is strange that when I do attach() , I got the follow error:
>  Error in attach(e) : attach only works for lists and data frames
>
> Any suggestions on this?

Update your R, as the posting guide asked you to in this circumstance.
This was new in R 2.4.0.

You don't need the baggage of the R.utils package here: the base function
sys.source loads into an environment.  So the definitive way to do this is

env <- attach(NULL, name = "myenv")
sys.source("some file", env)

and that has worked since well before 2.0.0.