[R] RMySQL adn FC6 - install fail

R Gott richard.gott at dur.ac.uk
Tue Jan 2 14:46:38 CET 2007

Dear anybody

I am running Fedora Core 6 with the latest version of R.

When I try to install the package RMySQL I get this message:

        * Installing *source* package 'RMySQL' ...
        creating cache ./config.cache
        checking how to run the C preprocessor... /lib/cpp
        checking for compress in -lz... no
        checking for getopt_long in -lc... no
        checking for mysql_init in -lmysqlclient... no
        checking for mysql.h... no
        checking for mysql_init in -lmysqlclient... no
        checking for mysql_init in -lmysqlclient... no
        checking for mysql_init in -lmysqlclient... no
        checking for mysql_init in -lmysqlclient... no
        checking for mysql_init in -lmysqlclient... no

        Configuration error:
           Could not locate the library "libz" required by MySQL.

        INSTRUCTIONS:

           The "libz" library is required by the MySQL client library
           in order to compress/uncompress connections between clients
           and the MySQL engine.

           Make sure you have "libz" installed properly and/or included
           in your $LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Perhaps it is not in any of the
           standard directories (e.g., /usr/lib/, /usr/local/lib)?

        Aborting the installation of RMySQL.

I haev checked my installation adn foudn teh follwing files:

        /usr/lib/libz.so (whcih points to)
        /usr/lib/libz.so.1.2

Any help woudl be appreciated.  I couldn't find anytign in teh archives.

Richard