[R] rimage package broken with fedora upgrade

John Kornak john.kornak at ucsf.edu
Tue Jan 2 00:26:45 CET 2007

Thanks to Jonathan and Oleg for their suggestions/comments. Their

I tried Oleg's suggestion of giving me write permissions on
/usr/lib/R/library. This didn't seem to work (I tried various
combinations of changing permissions and ownership but nothing worked).
Anyway, before changing permissions the library would not work when R
was fired up as root. I am by no means a linux/unix expert and maybe
there is some method of giving me write permissions that would have
solved the problem.

Jonathan was right that his was essentially a different problem. I
already had fftw2 installed.

My (heavy-handed) solution was to bite the bullet and re-install fedora
core 6 from scratch. (Apparently the upgrade from fc3 does not work as
well as back up + fresh install.) After running yum update, I then
installed R by clicking the relevant R RPM in CRAN. I subsequently
installed fftw2 and fftw2-devel (using "yum install package_name") (the
development package is needed) and installed rimage using
install.packages("rimage") within R and everything is now fine. Note
that it is also necessary to install libjpeg and libjpeg-devel if you do
not already have it.

I hope that this helps others that want

I am looking forward to playing with Oleg's EBimage package.

Thanks again and Happy New Year to all!

Cheers

John

--
John Kornak,PhD
Assistant Professor
Email: john.kornak at ucsf.edu

Jonathan Baron wrote:

> I had the same problem, but, unfortunately, a slightly different error
> message.  My error message said:
>
>> library(rimage)
> Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
>         unable to load shared library
> '/usr/lib/R/library/rimage/libs/rimage.so':
>   libfftw.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
> Error in library(rimage) : .First.lib failed for 'rimage'
>
> So I took the hint and said
>
> yum install libfftw.so.2
>
> and this installed libfftw,
> which cured the problem.
>
> But you did not get this error message about libfftw.
>
> Jon

Oleg Sklyar wrote:

Cannot help you much with that as the thing seems to compile normally.
As you use a global R installation, try giving yourself write
permissions in /usr/lib/R/library, this might help. Otherwise, try
installing R from source in your home or elsewhere where you have all
write permissions and check it again.

Anyway, I wanted also to advertise my package because you use rimage:

http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.0/bioc/html/EBImage.html

The difference is - it supports up to 95 image formats and implements
many image processing methods. In fact you can combine this with
functions from rimage. If interested, go for a development version above
and it works on Fedora 6 Zod and 2.4.1 - did try just today.

Best regards,
Oleg