[R] Package RGtk2, rattle, libatk-1.0.0.dll Errors

Daniel Nordlund res90sx5 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 28 09:29:17 CET 2007

Joshua,

I have a few questions about the problems you are having which I will intersperse in your email below.  I recall having some of the same difficulties you are having, which for me, were at least in part due to not following the installation directions exactly, in the correct order.

Did you follow the instructions about installing the Glade package before doing any of the rest of the installation?  From the URL I pointed you to:

Installing GTK, R, and Rattle

1. Install the GTK+ libraries

For MS/Windows, install the latest version of the Glade package from the http://gladewin32.sourceforge.net/modules/news/Glade for Windows website. Download the self-installing package (e.g., gtk-win32-devel-2.8.10-rc1.exe) and open it to install the libraries:

MS/Windows: run gtk-win32-devel-2.8.10-rc1.exe

> Here, i did uninstall R-Gui-2.4.0 then did the fresh installation and still
> facing the same problem
> I am using Windows- XP

If you were going to reinstall, why not install the current R-2.4.1?  The FAQ and the posting guide say that you should always install the latest version of R before requesting help (especially since one of your error messages listed below pointed out that the RGtk2 package you were trying to install was built under R-2.4.1).

> *Please find the following*
>

> R version 2.4.0 (2006-10-03)
> Copyright (C) 2006 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
> ISBN 3-900051-07-0
>
> R is free software and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> You are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
> Type 'license()' or 'licence()' for distribution details.
>
>   Natural language support but running in an English locale
>
> R is a collaborative project with many contributors.
> Type 'contributors()' for more information and
> 'citation()' on how to cite R or R packages in publications.
>
> Type 'demo()' for some demos, 'help()' for on-line help, or
> 'help.start()' for an HTML browser interface to help.
> Type 'q()' to quit R.
>
> [Previously saved workspace restored]
>
> > install.packages("RGtk2")
> --- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
> trying URL '
> http://cran.au.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.4/RGtk2_2.8.7.zip'
> Content type 'application/zip' length 13050736 bytes
> opened URL
> downloaded 12744Kb
>
> package 'RGtk2' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
>
> The downloaded packages are in
>         C:\Documents and Settings\jjoshua\Local
> Settings\Temp\RtmpLetwrb\downloaded_packages
> updating HTML package descriptions
> > install.packages("rattle")
> trying URL '
> http://cran.au.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.4/rattle_2.2.0.zip'
> Content type 'application/zip' length 340875 bytes
> opened URL
> downloaded 332Kb
>
> package 'rattle' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
>
> The downloaded packages are in
>         C:\Documents and Settings\jjoshua\Local
> Settings\Temp\RtmpLetwrb\downloaded_packages
> updating HTML package descriptions
> > library(RGtk2)
> Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
>         unable to load shared library
> 'C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-24~1.0/library/RGtk2/libs/RGtk2.dll':

I'm not sure where this path came from, but it doesn't look right to me.  To install RGtk2 and rattle (and any other packages from CRAN), I would use the Packages/Install package(s)... item from the RGui menu bar.

>   LoadLibrary failure:  The specified module could not be found.
>
> In addition: Warning message:
> package 'RGtk2' was built under R version 2.4.1
> Error: package/namespace load failed for 'RGtk2'

Installing rattle requires more work than the average package.  You need to make sure that you have the required software (external to R) installed before installing rattle.  I would suggest again that you subscribe to the Rattle mailing list.  You might get better help there.  I am willing to continue trying to help you either on or off list, but I am no expert, just a fellow traveler with you.

Dan

Daniel Nordlund
Bothell, WA  USA