[R] lm ANOVA vs. AOV

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Wed Feb 28 07:07:42 CET 2007

Matthew Bridgman wrote:
> Why would someone use lm and ANOVA (anova(lm(x))) instead of AOV (or
> the other way around)?
> The mean squares and sum of squares are the same, but the F values
> and p-values are slightly different.

Crudely put, aov() is effectively useless on unbalanced designs. On the
other hand, it will allow you to handle models with multistratum error
structure.

I am somewhat at a loss as to how you manage to get the same MS and SS
but different F. Presumably, the denominator is different, but if you're
not messing with Error() terms, then I believe both aov() and
anova(lm()) would use the residual MS. An example might help.