[R] stl function

Anja Eggert anja.eggert at uni-rostock.de
Tue Feb 27 15:55:15 CET 2007

I want to apply the stl-function to decompose a time series (daily
measurements over 22 years) into seasonal component, trend and
residuals. I was able to get the diagrams.
However, I could not find out what are the equations behind it. I.e. it
is probably not an additive or multiplicative combination of season (as
sin and cos-functions) and a linear trend?
Furthermore, what are the grey bars on the right hand side of the diagrams?
I would appreciate very much to receive some information or maybe a good
reference.

Thank you very much,
Anja

Dr. Anja Eggert