[R] glms with poisson and negative binomial errors

Jarrett Byrnes jebyrnes at ucdavis.edu
Wed Feb 21 20:37:51 CET 2007

A reviewer recently remarked to me that, due to my data being
constrained to not fall below zero, a generalized linear model with a
negative binomial error (or poisson) with a log link would be more
appropriate for fitting my model.  I ran it in R with glm.nb() and
got results that matched just using lm on log transformed data pretty
well.  However, R indicated some warnings.  I checked warnings(), and
saw a list of warnings as follows:

Warning messages:
1: non-integer x = 0.254825

I got the same error when trying to use the poisson family.

My data is indeed continuous, not discrete (lots of non-integers).

Does this mean that the model was not fit properly?  Was data dropped
when fitting the model?  Is there an option to deal with this that I
have overlooked?  It would seem all is in order, but i just wanted to
make sure.  Thanks!

Thanks.

-Jarrett