[R] Installing Package rgl - Compilation Fails - FreeBSD

Rainer Hurling Rainer.Hurling at nw-fva.de
Wed Feb 21 15:18:48 CET 2007

Brian,

thank you for the adaptions. I tried the new version under R-2.5.0
(2007-01-23 r40560) on FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT and got the following output.

-----
#R CMD INSTALL rgl_0.70-1.tar.gz
* Installing to library '/usr/local/lib/R/library'
* Installing *source* package 'rgl' ...
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers /usr/X11R6/include
checking for libpng-config... yes
configure: using libpng-config
configure: using libpng dynamic linkage
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating src/Makevars
** libs
g++ -I/usr/local/lib/R/include -I/usr/local/lib/R/include
-I/usr/X11R6/include -DHAVE_PNG_H
-I/usr/local/include/libpng -Iext -I/usr/local/include    -fpic  -g -O2
-c BBoxDeco.cpp -o BBoxDeco.o
In file included from BBoxDeco.hpp:11,
                  from BBoxDeco.cpp:1:
math.h: In function `T math::log2(T)':
math.h:43: error: `::log2' has not been declared
*** Error code 1

Stop in /tmp/R.INSTALL.hVDVXM/rgl/src.
chmod: /usr/local/lib/R/library/rgl/libs/*: No such file or directory
ERROR: compilation failed for package 'rgl'
** Removing '/usr/local/lib/R/library/rgl'
-----

It seems there is a problem with math.h. The FreeBSD manual for math(3)
says:

   The log2() and nan() functions are missing, and many functions
   are not available in their long double variants.

I do not know how to locate the library that contains function log2,
sorry. What can I do next to help?

Rainer