[R] Installing Package rgl - Compilation Fails - FreeBSD

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Feb 21 01:47:40 CET 2007

On 2/20/2007 4:45 PM, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> The problem is that rgl is apparently written for GNU make, and has (as
> shipped)
>
> ifdef MAKINGAGL
> PKG_CPPFLAGS=@AGLCPPFLAGS@ -Iext
> PKG_LIBS=@AGLLIBS@
> else
> PKG_CPPFLAGS= -If:/R/R-2.4.1/src/extra/zlib -DHAVE_PNG_H
> -If:/R/R-2.4.1/src/gnuwin32/bitmap/libpng  -Iext
> PKG_LIBS=-lgdi32 -lopengl32 -lglu32
> -Lf:/R/R-2.4.1/src/gnuwin32/bitmap/libpng -
> lpng -Lf:/R/R-2.4.1/src/extra/zlib -lz
> endif
>
> and similar for BUILDAGL.
>
> That seems to have been written to make it workable on MacOS X. Given that
> configure knows (or could know) the OS, it seems better to write (via
> configure) a separate Makevars for MacOS X and remove all the
> ifdef...endif stuff for everyone else.  (If you do that in Makevars.in it
> should work.)

On MacOS X we currently build two libraries, one for X11 and one for
AGL, and these tests choose between those two targets (which need
different compilation of a few files, and separate linking of all files
against different libraries).

Fixing this to work more portably isn't something that I know how to do.
   If someone wants to fix it and send me a patch I'll incorporate it,
but otherwise it likely won't get fixed.

By the way, the file you quote is Makevars, which shouldn't have been
shipped:  it gets produced from Makevars.in.  I'll have to be careful to
do the packaging from a clean checkout next time.

Duncan Murdoch