[R] Ubuntu Linux and X11

Yuelin Li liy12 at mskcc.org
Sat Feb 17 06:21:04 CET 2007

If you are using edgy, try changing your FontPath settings in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf (mine listed below).

Reboot, and check to see there are no warnings about missing font
files in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

Yuelin.

Section "Files"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/TTF"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/OTF"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/CID"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
        # path to defoma fonts
        FontPath	"/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
EndSection

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 05:05:35PM -0600, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
   On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 09:53:39PM +0100, preuth at slf.ch wrote:
   > i have a problem with creating histograms and plots under ubuntu linux.
   > After creating a vector "test" i want to make a histogram, but the following
   > error appears:
   > > hist (test)
   > Error in X11() : could not find any X11 fonts
   > Check that the Font Path is correct.
   >

   > Does anybody know this problem and a solution for this?

   Hm, you didn't by chance built this yourself and thereby ignored the
   BIG FAT warnings about x11 headers not being found ?

   Take a shortcut, install the (backported) Ubuntu packages from any
   of the CRAN mirrors and then sit back and enjoy a nice hist() chart?

   Dirk

                                                     -- Thomas A. Edison