[R] SPSS and library(foreign)

Anthony Staines anthony.staines at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 01:39:33 CET 2007

Hi,
I have a valid SPSS .sav file (which I can open happily in SPSS v11 on
Windows XP).

Opening it in R2.41 on Linux we get this message :-

> HSE3023 <- read.spss("HSE.sav")
Error in read.spss("HSE.sav") :
 	error reading system-file header
In addition: Warning message: HSE.sav:
Variable X234 indicates variable label of invalid length 256

Now variable X234 has indeed a silly label, which we can easily fix,
but I'm more worried about the  'error reading system-file header'.
Any ideas - are there multiple versions of the SPSS format, are there
OS issues?  I can't find anything helpful about the format either on
the SPSS site, or on the PSPP site. We have earlier versions of SPSS
around, so we re-install one and we could re-write it if that would
help.

Anthony Staines
Dr. Anthony Staines, Senior Lecturer in Epidemiology.
***Note New Address *** Note New Address ****
School  of Public Health and Population Sciences, Woodview House,
UCD, Belfield, Dublin 4, Ireland.
Tel:- +353 1 716 7345. Fax:- +353 1 716 7407 Mobile:- +353 86 606 9713
Web:- http://phm.ucd.ie