[R] R book advice

Charles Annis, P.E. Charles.Annis at StatisticalEngineering.com
Fri Feb 16 01:16:29 CET 2007

I know you asked for a comparison (which I can't provide) but on an absolute
scale for a beginner it'd be hard to beat Dalgaard ("Introductory Statistics
with R").  It assumes nothing, and teaches you statistics in a lucid
no-nonsense way AND teaches you R along the way as a mechanism for
implementing the statistical thinking you've acquired.

Charles Annis, P.E.

Charles.Annis at StatisticalEngineering.com
phone: 561-352-9699
eFax:  614-455-3265
http://www.StatisticalEngineering.com

-----Original Message-----
From: r-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch
[mailto:r-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch] On Behalf Of Paul Lynch
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2007 6:35 PM
To: r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
Subject: [R] R book advice

I'm looking for a book for someone completely ignorant of statistics
who wishes to learn both statistics and R.  I've found three
possibilities, one by Verzani ("Using R for Introductory Statistics"),
one by Crawley ("Statistics: An Introduction using R"), and one by
Dalgaard ("Introductory Statistics with R").  Do these books have
different emphases, perspectives, or strengths?  Should I just pick
one at random and buy it?

Thanks,
        --Paul