[R] integrate over polygon

ecatchpole e.catchpole at adfa.edu.au
Thu Feb 15 06:12:47 CET 2007

Haiyong,

There may be better ways, but this what I'd do.  (And I'm not an expert
on this.)

(a) surround the polygon with a rectangle,

(b) define, via an indicator function, a new function that is equal to
your desired function within the polygon, and zero outside it,

(c) use adapt() to integrate the new function over the whole rectangle.

The tricky part is (b).  How difficult this is depends on how
complicated the polygon is.  If it's convex then it can be represented
by a set of inequalities Ax >= 0 and Bx <= 0.

Ted.