[R] linear coefficient combination stderr?

Abhijit Dasgupta Abhijit.Dasgupta at mail.jci.tju.edu
Wed Feb 14 06:43:09 CET 2007

look at the function "estimable" in the package gmodels. This does the
t.stat that you mention below.

Otherwise, if you wanted to do this by hand, :

beta = m$coef
V = summary(m)$cov.unscaled
sigma = summary(m)$sigma

covBeta = V*sigma^2

Now if your contrast is a%*%beta, then its se is
sqrt(t(a)%*%covBeta%*%a) and so the t.stat below is

t.stat = (a%*%beta)/sqrt(t(a)%*%covBeta%*%a)
or, in your particular case

t.stat = (beta[2]+beta[3])/sqrt(t(c(0,1,1))%*%covBeta%*%c(0,1,1))

Abhijit