[R] isoMDS vs. other non-metric non-R routines

Christian Hennig chrish at stats.ucl.ac.uk
Tue Feb 13 13:53:11 CET 2007

Dear Phil,

I don't have experiences with Minissa but I know that isoMDS is bad in
some situations. I have even seen situations with non-metric
dissimilarities in which the classical MDS was preferable.

Some alternatives that you have:
1) Try to start isoMDS from other initial configurations (by default, it
starts from the classical solution).
2) Try sammon mapping (command should be "sammon").
3) Have a look at XGvis/GGvis (which may be part of XGobi/GGobi). These
are not directly part of R but have R interfaces. They allow you to toy
around quite a lot with different algorithms, stress functions (the
isoMDS stress is not necessarily what you want) and initial
configurations so that you can find a better solution and understand your
data better. Unfortunately I don't have the time to give you more detail,
but google for it (or somebody else will tell you more).

Best,
Christian