[R] merge words=data name

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Feb 12 03:39:25 CET 2007

On 2/11/2007 8:57 PM, Mark W Kimpel wrote:
> Duncan,
>
> Both yours and Gabor's methods were far superior to mine. I am curious
> why you like Gabor's better than yours. From the perspective of someone
> who uses R regularly but has only read about C, yours seems more
> "R-like". Would Gabor's be more computationally efficient if the loop
> was big enough?
>
> I ask this because it made me ask myself, "are the C-like functions of R
> 'better' (computationally) than the more R-like ones?"

Basically the reason I liked Gabor's solution is related to what Haris
said.  I wouldn't worry so much about potential damage, but the
possibility of getting something quite different from what you expect is
larger with my solution.  Gabor's selected a particular component from a
list, which is really what you wanted to do.

I suspect the difference in computational efficiency between the two
wouldn't really be measurable, but Gabor's would be a little better.
The main benefit of it is clarity.

Duncan Murdoch