[R] Data.frame columns in R console

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Feb 9 14:49:16 CET 2007

    Lauri> This still does not solve the issue that when I print in R console I get
    Lauri> columns that don't fit in the window underneath each other. Thanks anyway!

But Brian did give you all you needed (even more I'd say) to
solve that !?!?
Please apologize if I use a bit frank language, but using R, you
*really* are expected to read the documentation which is written
pretty carefully {probably that's what some people don't like
about it and call "confusing" ??}.

Specifically, Brian said

 BDR> 200 columns will take far more than 250 characters.  The help says

and then pointed you to the docu for options(width = .).
I think you need to reread that paragraph, particularly the word
'character' and then you will understand that your original
approach of using options(width = 250) can *not* be what you
want if your dataframe has 200 columns.

Martin

    Petr> Hi

    >> an
    >>
    >> As Petr explains below (and Brian Ripley), you
    >> *really* should use different means here ---
    >> but I think this is the first time that  the relatively new
    >> option 'max.print' has "hit R-help", hence one other hint, maybe
    >> useful to the public:
    >>
    >> Note that the 'max.print' option was introduced exactly for the
    >> purpose of **protecting** the inadvertent user from a flood of output
    >> spilling into his console/gui/..
    >> (and apparently locking up R completely, we have even seen
    >> crashes when people wanted to print dataframes/matrices/arrays
    >> with millions of entries).
    >>
    >> So, given the above message (yes, not an error),
    >> why did you not try to read
    >> help(getOption)
    >> and look for the word 'max.print' there ?

    --> if you really really don't want to follow the advice of