[R] problems installing R on Linux

Stefan Grosse singularitaet at gmx.net
Fri Feb 9 12:27:56 CET 2007

> Thank you both Pr. Ripley and Dr. Skyler for taking the time to help. I got
> your further responses in my email here at work. I really think that Dr.
> Ripley is correct : "The symptoms look like a very old Linux distro and a
> missing/damaged/incompatible libg2c".
>

> # gcc --version
> 2.96
> # g77 --version
> GNU Fortran 0.5.26 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.3 2.96-110)
>
> (embarrassingly old?)
>
> My collegues and I are going to try to update it to the most recent free
> version (9.something).

Yes it looks terribly old. You should try Fedora Core 6, a re-spin (all
updates till January) is available here:
http://fedoraunity.org/news-archives/core-6-re-spin-20070111

It is Red Hat based (follow up?), up to date, and a R rpm is provided by
the r-project so you do not need to compile by yourself. Get it from
here: http://stat.ethz.ch/CRAN/bin/linux/redhat/fc6/

Stefan