[R] Numerical Recipes in R

Lorenzo Isella lorenzo.isella at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 11:00:39 CET 2007

Dear All,
So far I have mainly used R for data analysis and simple numerics
(integration of functions, splines etc...).
However, I have recently been astonished at finding out that many
things I thought were only achievable with Fortran or C can be done
e.g. entirely using MatLab.
When I try asking around if the same could be achieved by R,
inevitably the answer is that either people do not know R or there is
so much numerical MatLab code (for instance for solving partial
differential equations), that there is no point in switching to R.
Does anyone know if this is really the situation? I am wondering if
there is anywhere a kind of freely available collection of reliable
numerical software written in R which is not only geared towards
statistics and data analysis.
Kind Regards

Lorenzo