[R] R in Industry

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Thu Feb 8 20:51:45 CET 2007

      As Duncan indicated, I think R wins overwhelmingly  on this point:

      What should you do if a key software vendor decides to increase
their license fees beyond reason or obsolete a key product that burdens
you with excessive transition costs?  Similarly, what do you do if you
want to migrate a special application from some obscure operating system
onto Windows or Linux, or you need some enhancements that should be
minor but your vendor wants an excessive fee for that service?  If they
see you as the only customer for a certain modification, their fees may
be reasonable from their perspective.

      With R, you can get the source code, so adapting it, modifying it,
etc., should rarely be a problem.  With commercial software, you almost
never get the source code, and you should consult attorneys before
attempting to code something required to escape from a vendor whose fee
structure is becoming prohibitive.  In many situations, just analyzing
the legal issues could cost you more than paying someone to modify R
code to support your changing needs.

      Spencer Graves