[R] Sample Poisson Distribution

Abhijit Dasgupta Abhijit.Dasgupta at mail.jci.tju.edu
Wed Feb 7 19:10:16 CET 2007

Do you mean that you have 100 samples, each of size 1000. If this is so,
you can perhaps do:

N = 1000
n = 100
x = matrix(rpois(N*n, 3.1), ncol=100) # Generate the appropriate no. of
Poisson samples and rearrange into 100 columns of 1000

output = cbind(means=apply(x,2,mean), vars=apply(x,2,var)) #
apply(x,2,mean) runs "mean" on each column of x

What do you want to draw the histograms of? Histograms of the means
and/or variances can be done by
hist(output$means)
hist(output$vars)

Hope this helps