[R] heatmap from xyz data

Vladimir Eremeev wl2776 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 16:12:19 CET 2007

You can use

plot(y~x,col=color.index.in.palette.defined.from(z),pch=20,type="p")

where

color.index.in.palette.defined.from(z)

is a function or an expression, returning either a color index in a
predefined palette or any other color representation, suitable for R. This
is described in ?par.
I have successfuly used col=z*10 with your sample data.

type="p" specifies, that points will be plotted.
pch=20 says to plot them as small filled circles, sometimes I needed smaller
circles, and pch=183 worked for me.

The package fields and several other packages related to the spatial
statistics are able to plot irregularly distributed point data and
interpolate them to a regular grid (produce a 'contiguous' map).

Here are some links:

http://sal.uiuc.edu/csiss/Rgeo/
http://r-spatial.sourceforge.net/

You can also try