[R] Beginner Question on Persp()

Tom H. tom.hatfield at ae.ctscorp.com
Mon Feb 5 14:50:34 CET 2007

I recently downloaded R for Windows, running on Win XP.  I'm trying to create
a perspective plot but not having any luck after reading the R manual and
several examples found on the Internet.

I have a 100 x 100 matrix of Z data as a tab-delimited text file exported
from Minitab.  I read this in to R using read.delim; this seemed to go ok.
I created  X and Y using seq() to get 100 divisions for the X and Y axes.
Again, everything looked good, when I typed X or Y I got a string of 100
numbers.

However, when I try to do persp(x,y,z) I get an error something like: (list)
cannot be coerced to double.  I know the basic data (matrix of z values) is
ok (no hidden non-numeric values) because Minitab will graph it just fine.
Any suggestions on how to proceed?  Thanks in advanced for your help.