[R] read.spss and encodings

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Thu Feb 1 16:45:11 CET 2007

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm having trouble with importing spss files containing non-ascii characters

Peter has explained what is going on.  It would be ideal for read.spss()
to do the translation to the current locale. This would require knowing
what encoding the SPSS file is using.  I think it is always a one-byte
encoding and in your case it is apparently Latin-1, but I don't know if
this is always the case, or how to tell which encoding it uses.

 	-thomas