[R] prop.test() references

Jean lobry lobry at biomserv.univ-lyon1.fr
Thu Feb 1 07:22:41 CET 2007

Dear R-help,

I'm using prop.test() to compute a confidence interval for a proportion
under R version 2.4.1, as in:

prop.test(x = 340, n = 400)$conf
[1] 0.8103309 0.8827749

I have two questions:

1) from the source code my understanding is that the confidence
interval is computed according to Wilson, E.B. (1927) Probable
inference, the law of succession, and statistical inference.
J. Am. Stat. Assoc., 22:209-212.
Is it correct?

2) The doc says "Continuity correction is used only if it does not exceed
the difference between sample and null proportions in absolute value."
Does someone has a reference in which this point is discussed?

Best,
--
Jean R. Lobry            (lobry at biomserv.univ-lyon1.fr)
Laboratoire BBE-CNRS-UMR-5558, Univ. C. Bernard - LYON I,