[R] read.dta error after OSX change in time zone

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Dec 31 11:34:02 CET 2007

This _is_ Mac-specific, so please use R-sig-mac.

It looks like changing the time zone is changing the behaviour of the
system function strptime.  But we need a reproducible example (see the
footer of this and every message).  You can probably create one by
debugging the failing call and seeing what string it is that fromchar() is
trying to interpret (and if this is called from as.Date.character or
as.POSIXlt).  If that's beyond you, you will need to make your file
available to us.

Please post full details as requested in the posting guide and the
requested example on R-sig-mac.

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007, Danstan Bagenda wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I recently moved from the US to Africa  &  on changing my time zone
> in the OSX system preferences from EST to GMT+3 ( East Africa)  on
> attempting to use read.dta  using the foreign package    began
> getting an error  of:
>
> "Error in fromchar(x) : character string is not in a standard
> unambiguous format"
>
> This error goes away & the data is correctly read in when I revert to
> the EST  time zone.
>
> I installed & am currently using R  Version 1.19-pre (devel, r4291)
> (4291)  while I was still in the US.

There is no such R version: that is the version of R.app.  Please see the
posting guide for the information we do need.  I don't think this the
devel version of R.