[R] ASUS Eee R cookbook

John C Frain frainj at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 15:17:04 CET 2007

About a year ago I looked at running R (and the Rmetrics packages) on
an early UMPC Samsung Q2  with 512 GB of memory.  I ran R from a USB
flash memory drive and execution times were about twice that on my
current desktop PC with 2 GB memory and an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
(2.4GHz).  I know that the relative results are probably specific to
the particular program that I was testing but they speak volumes for
the CPU in the Samsung Q2 which is the same as that in the Asus EEE
PC.  My desktop is running Windows XP Professional and the Samsung was
running the tablet version of Windows XP.

Given the small internal flash memory on the EEE PC I wonder if anyone
has tried to run R from an external flash drive in Linux.  Could one
expect as good a performance from the EEE PC as I got from the
Samsung.  (I also tried some TeX compilations from flash memory on the
Samsung with satisfactory results.  The Samsung  is about the same
size as the EEE PC but is a multiple of the cost.  I suspect that the
current price of the EEE PC will fall as soon as supply increases and
some other manufacturers enter the market. It would be great to be
able to have so portable a device that was capable of running R,
LaTeX, Octave, Mathematica etc, as well as open office and firefox.