[R] two plots on the same page

Steven McKinney smckinney at bccrc.ca
Sat Dec 29 02:09:45 CET 2007

Because glmod1 is of class "gls"

> class(glmod1)
[1] "gls"

so when you plot it you are invoking
plot.gls()

See the help for function plot.gls() in the nlme library.

> ?plot.gls

reports that the value of a call is

   Value

   a diagnostic Trellis plot.

so you are dealing with Trellis plots handled by the
lattice package.  Trellis plots do not use
the par() settings used by regular plots.

Here's one way to do it.  (I substituted
an example from nlme since I don't have your
data and "upfmla" object.

library(nlme)

glmod1 <- gls(follicles ~ sin(2*pi*Time) + cos(2*pi*Time), Ovary,
           correlation = corAR1(form = ~ 1 | Mare))
summary(glmod1)

plot1 <- plot(glmod1, main="GLS Residuals vs. GLS Fitted")
plot2 <- qqnorm(glmod1)
print(plot1, split = c(1, 1, 1, 2), more = TRUE)
print(plot2, split = c(1, 2, 1, 2))

Try something like this.  The 'split' mechanism
works for me and I get both plots on one page.

Remember also that you can save the output of
trellis plot commands and print them later.  Trellis
plots do not always print right away - in many situations
you must explicitly wrap your trellis plot
command with print() before it will render on a
graphics device.

You can read more about putting multiple trellis plots on a
page in the help page for
print.trellis
in the lattice package.

Hope this helps.

After you master the lattice package
you can go to that New Years party
and celebrate!

Steven McKinney

Statistician
Molecular Oncology and Breast Cancer Program
British Columbia Cancer Research Centre

email: smckinney +at+ bccrc +dot+ ca

tel: 604-675-8000 x7561

BCCRC