[R] Reminiscing on 20 years using S

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Thu Dec 27 23:12:55 CET 2007

My first exposure to S was on an AT&T 3B2 (a 3B2/100,
I think), at the Auckland (Mt Albert) Applied Mathematics
Division Station of the NZ Dept of Scientific and Industrial
Research.  The AMD Head Office in Wellington had one
also.  There may have been one or more others; I cannot
remember. This would have been in 1983, maybe.

It was a superbly engineered machine, but the sofware
(System V, version 3.2) had its problems.  If you back
deleted too far along the command line, something
unpleasant (losing the line? or worse?) happened.
On typing 1+1 at the S command line, it took a second
to get an answer.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.