[R] R appearance under linux

Tyler Smith tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca
Sat Dec 22 06:31:15 CET 2007

On 2007-12-21, phguardiol at aol.com <phguardiol at aol.com> wrote:

>  Dear R users,
>
> I have just moved to R2.6.1 under Opensuse linux 10.3. I used to
> work with R under XPpro. Is it "normal" to have a visual aspect of R
> under linux different ?

Yes, that's normal. Under windows, you get a GUI interface with menus
and separate windows etc. by default. In Linux you get to choose for
yourself how you interact with R. One of the better options is Emacs
with ESS. Details can be found at http://ESS.R-project.org/ including
rpms for suse. Other options are presented here:
http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/

There will be a bit of a learning curve here, but eventually you'll
find you can do everything that you could do with the Windows GUI, and
at least with Emacs and ESS, a whole lot more.

Tyler