[R] connecting [logging] RMySQL to an external server - SOLVED

David James daj025 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 18:38:25 CET 2007

Hi,

I'm sorry I'm also coming late to this discussion, but  like Dirk, I
fail to understand what's wrong with using dbConnect() the way
the documentation, (see ?MySQL) suggests.

RMySQL was developed in a fully distributed client/server
environment, and it uses the MySQL-provided client API.  The
options that the MySQL client library allows (user, password, host,
port or socket file, compression, etc.) should work from RMySQL
(RMySQL just passes those directly to the MySQL client library).
If you have a specific (e.g., security-related) need that the MySQL client
API does not address, then the use of ssh may be the proper way
to go.  But for simple, vanilla style of client-server communications
the underlying MySQL client should be sufficient.

Regards,

--
David