[R] Dual Core vs Quad Core

S Ellison S.Ellison at lgc.co.uk
Tue Dec 18 11:38:57 CET 2007

Hiding in the windows faq is the observation that "R's computation is
single-threaded, and so it cannot use more than one CPU". So multi-core
should make no difference other than allowing R to run with less
interruption from other tasks. That is often a significant advantage,
though.

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007, Kitty Lee wrote:

> Dear R-users,
>
> I use R to run spatial stuff and it takes up a lot of ram. Runs can
take hours or days. I am thinking of getting a new desktop. Can R take
advantage of the dual-core system?

> I have a dual-core computer at work. But it seems that right now R is
using only one processor.

> The new computers feature quad core with 3GB of RAM. Can R take
advantage of the 4 chips? Or am I better off getting a dual core with
faster processing speed per chip?

> Thanks! Any advice would be really appreciated!
>
> K.

If I have my information right, R will use dual- or quad-cores if it's

doing two (or four) things at once. The second core will help a little
bit
insofar as whatever else your machine is doing won't interfere with the

one core on which it's running, but generally things that take a single

thread will remain on a single core.

As for RAM, if you're doing memory-bound work you should certainly be
using a 64-bit machine and OS so you can utilize the larger memory
space.