[R] [Not R question] using java COM bridge to pass array of double through R(D)COM SetSymbol method

adschai at optonline.net adschai at optonline.net
Thu Dec 13 07:08:35 CET 2007

Hi

My apology as I am really getting stuck. I know that this is not appropriate to post here but I do not know where to turn to. In any case, any thoughts or experience that you could share would be really appreciated.

I have a need to use java to access R on windows. And I need to spawn each R process for each of my subtask in java application. That's why Rserve would not be the right tool (as far as I read on their web site). So I am left with R(D)COM.

I use java COM bridge like j-integra and JACOB. My problem is that I cannot pass array of double through its proxy. Somehow, pass something like:

proxy.setSymbol("test", new double[] {2, 4});

this will work. but if I do

proxy.setSymbol("test", new double[] {2.0, 4.0});

this won't work.  Nor proxy.setSymbol("test", new Object[] {2.0,4.0});

So I'm quite desperate about the setSymbol. I'm sure that some of you might have write wrapper around R and might be able to provide me some insight. Thank you so much in advance.

- adschai