[R] problem applying a conditional formula to each element of a matrix

Domenico Vistocco vistocco at unicas.it
Wed Dec 12 23:45:10 CET 2007

The conditional have to be a single element:
 > ?"if"

 cond: A length-one logical vector that is not 'NA'. Conditions of
          length greater than one are accepted with a warning, but only
          the first element is used.  Other types are coerced to
          logical if possible, ignoring any class.

In your case you have a matrix of logical values:
 > distance.matrix <= 58.1
     1     2     3
1 TRUE  TRUE  TRUE
2 TRUE  TRUE FALSE
3 TRUE FALSE  TRUE

A possible solution (maybe not the better):

Cov.f <- function(h, sigmasq, phi) {
    Cij <- h
    Cij[h<=phi] <- sigmasq * (1 - ( 1.5 * (Cij[h<=phi]/phi) - 0.5
*(Cij[h<=phi]/phi)^3))
    Cij[h>phi] <- 0
    return(Cij)
}