[R] question regarding arima function and predicted values

Pfaff, Bernhard Dr. Bernhard_Pfaff at fra.invesco.com
Wed Dec 12 10:53:02 CET 2007

>Good evening!
>
>I have a question regarding  forecast package and time series analysis.
>My syntax:
>
>x<-c(253, 252, 275, 275, 272, 254, 272, 252, 249, 300, 244,
>258, 255, 285, 301, 278, 279, 304, 275, 276, 313, 292, 302,
>322, 281, 298, 305, 295, 286, 327, 286, 270, 289, 293, 287,
>267, 267, 288, 304, 273, 264, 254, 263, 265, 278)
>library(forecast)
>arima(x, order=c(1,1,2), seasonal=list(order=c(0,1,0), period=12))->l
>auto.arima(x)->k
>sd(l$resid)
>sd(k$resid)
>predict(l,n.ahead=1)
>predict(k,n.ahead=1)
>
>1. I understand that auto.arima will find the best time series
>model choosing the smaller AIC, BIC and AICc from competing
>models, but my model finds a smaller AIC than that of the
>auto.arima. but the sd of the residuals for my model is
>somehow bigger.
>Why? Am I missing something?
>Now the sd of the residuals for my model is somehow bigger, as
>well as the se for the predicted value.  What model would you
>choose between this two and why?

Hello Eugen,

in a nutshell, I would not use neither of these models, but an ARMA(1,
0, 1) fitted to the log(x). Now, to your questions. If you use the
"trace = TRUE" argument in auto.arima(), you will see that your model
specification (l) is not tested. Why is this? Because, you supply a
vector and the frequency is 1 (i.e. frequency(x). If you now spot at the
code in auto.arima() it is clear that seasonal differences are not
tested for.

Try this instead:

x <- ts(x, frequency = 12)
k <- auto.arima(x, D = 1, trace = TRUE)
logLik(k)
k$aic

Hence, this yields an ARIMA(1, 0, 1)(2, 1, 0)[12] as an "optimal" model
specification, which yields an even "better" result than your l model.
However, the results you report for l and k can be attributed to
over-fitting / over-differencing. If you examine your series more
closely:

plot(x)
acf(x)
pacf(x)
library(urca)
ur.kpss(x)
plot(ur.za(x))

i.e. the traditional approach for the identification stage in the
Box-Jenkins approach, you will detect, that
1) The series seems not to be stationary with respect to its variance,
but is not "trending".
2) ACF and PACF tapers off slowly and neither has a single spike nor
gives the PACF hindsight of seasonality.
3) Your series is stationary with a structural break.

Therefore, one can use the log-transform of x for variance stabilisation
and specify an ARMA(1, 0, 1)-model:

xl <- log(x)
m <- arima(xl, order=c(1, 0, 1))

Best,