[R] Sys.setlocale() and text()

Ed Merkle edgar.merkle at wichita.edu
Wed Dec 12 04:09:13 CET 2007

Dear HelpeRs,

I have a question about the Sys.setlocale() command and plotting.  I am
running Windows XP, with R 2.6.1.  My default locale is English_United
States.1252.

I am trying to add a lowercase sigma to a plot using the following code:

Sys.setlocale("LC_CTYPE","greek")
plot(1:10,1:10)
text(4,3,"\xF3")

For R 2.6.1, this code gives me the glyph from my default (1252) instead
of from the 1253 codes.  For an older version of R (2.3.0) on the same
computer, this code gives me the lowercase sigma that I wanted.  I have
been unable to pinpoint what has changed.  Thanks for the help, and I
apologize if I am missing something obvious.

--
Ed Merkle, PhD
Assistant Professor