[R] [OT] A free (as in freedom) replacement for StatTransfer

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Sun Dec 9 03:25:09 CET 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-09 at 12:26 +1100, Tim Churches wrote:
> Marc Schwartz wrote:
> > Perhaps the most notable format that is lacking is the SAS proprietary
> > format (not the Transport format), which is not openly published and to
> > my knowledge, has not been independently reverse engineered.
>
> The SAS proprietary dataset and format catalogue structures were
> successfully reverse engineered by a small software firm called
> Conceptual and were made available in a product called DBMS/Copy.
> DBMS/Copy is/was similar to StatTransfer, but by 2002 was going a lot
> further by adding support for much of the SAS data step syntax and some
> core SAS procedures as well - in other words, it was rapidly becoming a
> very viable and quite good pop person's SAS (with a modest one-off
> license fee). However, the SAS Institute bought out the privately-held
> Conceptual company, and now sells DBMS/Copy thhrough its wholly-owned
> daat integration offshoot company, DataFlux, but without the SAS
> datastep support features (to avoid competition with the mainstream SAS
> cash cows) - see http://www.conceptual.com/
>
> > Any of the commercial products that support that format, with the
> > possible exception of the SAS System Viewer (which is not open source,
> > but is free from SAS), will be closed source and will have to be
> > purchased.
>
> DBMS/Copy is definitely closed-source and is probably not nearly as
> cheapl as it once was when sold by Conceptual. But it is a great product
> for convert to or from SAS proprietary data sets and format catalogues,
> and works well and quickly with even huge datasets.

I am familiar with DBMS/Copy as my company uses it. Single user Windows
licenses are not too bad (~$500 U.S.), but going beyond that gets
expensive quickly.

I was aware of the past corporate history of Conceptual and it's
transition to DataFlux/SAS, but not that the original developer (who's
name escapes me at the moment) had reverse engineered the SAS format. He
is a SAS employee now, working on other projects and the rumors
percolate out of Tech Support in Cary every now and then that DBMS/Copy
will be EOL'd. There have not been any updates/patches for version 8
since January of this year.

The product is problematic however, in that it will both open and write
SAS datasets that in actuality may not be readable by SAS itself. A
significant problem that caused us to actually have to purchase SAS
earlier this year to be able to validate aspects of a client data
transfer process and we don't use SAS for anything else.

Indeed, there is an inconsistency in the behavior of SAS, DBMS/Copy and
the SAS System Viewer when reading SAS datasets. Given that all three
are now under the purview of SAS, it is in some respects surprising and
in others, not so much.

Unfortunately, SAS is now bundling BASE, STAT and GRAPH as the entry
level offering, so one cannot just get BASE as a stand-alone product any
longer, which is all we needed. This makes the investment even more
expensive for those of us who have to purchase at full commercial
pricing.

Regards,

Marc