[R] MS Excel Data

diegol diegol81 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 19:15:14 CET 2007

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> Why not read the 'R Data Import/Export' manual?  It ships with R, or can
> be accessed from http://cran.r-project.org/manuals.html .

Dear Professor,

I'd like to make a suggestion.

When I first read some articles ands posts about R's wonderful capabilities,
the first thing I tried to do is import some data to which I had fitted
distributions in Excel, so I could compare the results with R. However,
after reading "R Data Import/Export" and some other references (including
the relevant parts of "Introduction to R"), I still found importing
excruciatingly difficult and frustrating, and I believe that to be true for
many people first approaching R. After a long while I did find the way
around it; however, some time later I came across the R Commander package
and GUI, which makes these simple tasks really simple.

My point is that such unexpected difficulties might deter beginners from
ever considering R again. I believe that including a reference to the R
Commander package in the "R Data Import/Export" document could be a step
forward in this respect. Once the user becomes more familiar with R, they
can spend some more time to learn programmed solutions to data importing.

Best regards.

-----