[R] finding most highly transcribed genes - ranking, sorting and subsets?

alison waller alison.waller at utoronto.ca
Fri Dec 7 17:17:08 CET 2007

Thanks so much Martin,

This method is definitely more straightforward.  And you are right I don't
think I was doing anything wrong before. However, I thought that rank, would
rank the highest 1st, however after looking at the results using your
methods, I realized it ranks the lowest number 1.  So I modified it for
rank>18500.  And now I'm getting 300 rows for which the intensity is
consistenly high.

However, I am still laking some information.  For the results I can get a
matrix of 300 rows and the corresponding intensities (from m) or rank (from
h), but what I really want is the name of the original row, which
corresponds to a specific spot on the array).

I did msubset<-m[hrows,] and as mentioned I just get the rows numbered
1-300, while I want to essentially pickout the 300 rows from the original
19,000 rows maintaing the original row designation as it corresponds to a
specific gene.

Thanks again for any suggestions,

Alison