[R] if/else for plot/lines?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Dec 7 12:26:58 CET 2007

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Roger Levy wrote:

> I'm interested in writing a function that constructs a new plot on the
> current graphics device if no plot exists there yet, but adds lines to
> the existing plot if a plot is already there.  How can I do this?  It
> seems to me that the exists() function might be co-opted to do this, but
> it's not obvious how.

exists() will not help with graphics devices, whose state is not stored in
R objects that exists() can test for.

Note that it is rare for a graphics device to be open and not contain a
plot.  But in those circumstances par("usr") will be c(0,1,0,1) which
would be unusual after a plot.

A simple way to test if a non-null device is active is dev.cur() > 1.

However, I doubt if you want to add lines to any old plot that happens to
be on the device, and there is no general way to tell if the existing
plot is suitable (it need not be the last plot made, for example).
So I can only see this goal as achievable within a constrained set of
circumstances.

(A further complication is that a graphics device can display either base
or grid graphics, and you can't add base graphics to a grid plot or v.v.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk