[R] simple problems

marciarr marcia.rocha at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 21:26:46 CET 2007

Hello R users,
I have been looking through Help files and Nabble list for the answers for
these simple questions, but it seems to be fruitless.
1- in a data frame with two columns, x and y, how do I get the corresponding
value of x to, let's say, the minimum value of the y column (min (data$y)) ?
2- how do I solve a simple equation? Considering the equation y= exp(-x)^12,
I would like to find the values of x for,  for example, y=0.01, so
exp(-x)^12=0.01. How do I do that using R?
I know those a probably very, very simple questions, but for which I do not
seem to find the answer.
Thank you very much,
Marcia