[R] Using panel.densityplot with stripplot

Christopher Oezbek oezbek at inf.fu-berlin.de
Thu Dec 6 09:04:09 CET 2007

Hi Lattice-Experts/Hi Deepayan,
   I have been searching the archives for an answer to this, but am finally
giving up:

I am plotting stripplots above each other using

stripplot(type ~ date, data = email)

which looks exactely as I want (type is a factor with 8 levels). I
addition I would now like to display for each stripplot a density curve.

 From examples I would have thought I would need to do:

stripplot(type ~ date2, data = email,
           panel = function(x, y, ...) {
             panel.stripplot(x, y, ...)
             panel.densityplot(x, y, ...)
           })

This works as far as the stripplot part is concerned. But

a.) panel.densityplot does not take a y argument.

b.) even if I drop y, no density curve shows up (I guess I am missing
correct dargs here)

I have been toying with

- using panel.superpose but guess that this is not the right approach,
since I do not have a grouping variable (and I have not succeeded in
letting "~ date2 | type" and "~date, groups=email$type" look the way I
want).

- using densityplot instead of stripplot, but then panel.stripplot
complains that argument y is missing. :-(

Many thanks for any advice/ideas!
   Christopher

--
Christopher Oezbek