[R] logistic regression using "glm",which "y" is set to be "1"

Bin Yue leffgh at 163.com
Thu Dec 6 07:33:47 CET 2007

 Dear all:
     By comparing glmresult$y and model.response(model.frame(glmresult)),  I
have found out which one is
set to be "TRUE" and which "FALSE".But it seems that to fit a logistic
regression , logit (or logistic) transformation has to be done before
regression.
     Does anybody know how to obtain the transformation result ? It is hard
to settle down before knowing the actual process R works . I have read some
books and the "?glm" help file , but what they told me was not sufficient.
   Best wishes ,
 Bin Yue

Weiwei Shi wrote:

> Dear Bin:
> you type
> ?glm
> in R console and you will find the Detail section of help file for glm
>
> i pasted it for you too
>
> Details
>
> A typical predictor has the form response ~ terms where response is the
> (numeric) response vector and terms is a series of terms which specifies a
> linear predictor for response. For binomialand quasibinomial families the
> response can also be specified as a
> factor<file:///Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.6/Resources/library/base/html/factor.html>
> (when
> the first level denotes failure and all others success) or as a two-column
> matrix with the columns giving the numbers of successes and failures. A
> terms specification of the form first + second indicates all the terms in
> first together with all the terms in second with duplicates removed. The
> terms in the formula will be re-ordered so that main effects come first,
> followed by the interactions, all second-order, all third-order and so on:
> to avoid this pass a terms object as the formula.
>
> A specification of the form first:second indicates the the set of terms
> obtained by taking the interactions of all terms in first with all terms
> in
> second. The specification first*second indicates the *cross* of first and
> second. This is the same as first + second + first:second.
>
> glm.fit is the workhorse function.
>
> If more than one of etastart, start and mustart is specified, the first in
> the list will be used. It is often advisable to supply starting values for
> quasi<file:///Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.6/Resources/library/stats/html/family.html>
> family,
> and also for families with unusual links such as gaussian("log").
>
> All of weights, subset, offset, etastart and mustart are evaluated in the
> same way as variables in formula, that is first in data and then in the
> environment of formula.
>

> On Dec 5, 2007 10:41 PM, Bin Yue <leffgh at 163.com> wrote:
>

>> Dear Marc Schwartz:
>>  When I ask R2.6.0 for windows, the information it gives does not contain
>> much about family=binomial .
>>  You said that there is a detail section of "?glm". I want to read it
>> thoroughly. Could  you tell me where and how I can find the detail
>> section
>> of "?glm".
>>   Thank you very much .
>>   Best regards,
>>  Bin Yue
>>

>> Marc Schwartz wrote:

>> of
>> level

>> > As per the Details section of ?glm:
>> >
>> > For binomial and quasibinomial families the response can also be
>> > specified as a factor (when the first level denotes failure and all
>> > others success) ...
>> >

>> > So use:

> [...]

-----
Best regards,