[R] Which Linux OS on Athlon amd64, to comfortably run R?

Emmanuel Charpentier charpent at bacbuc.dyndns.org
Thu Dec 6 00:31:29 CET 2007

Prof Brian Ripley a écrit :
> Note that Ottorino has only 1GB of RAM installed, which makes a 64-bit
> version of R somewhat moot.  See chapter 8 of
>
> http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html

Thank you for this reminder|tip ! I didn't re-read this document since
... oh, my  ... very early (1.x ?) versions. At which time my favorite
peeve against R was the fixed memory allocation scheme.

I would have thought that 64 bits machines could take advantage of a
wider bus and (marginally ?) faster instructions to balance larger
pointers. Am I mistaken ?

Thank again !

					Emmanuel Charpentier